A regular theme of this Blog is the author's repeated astonishment at how things from our histories are proving assets to our work Here. Things we never thought much of, or in the case of my Music Major in college, in fact things we disdained. It would seem that the opportunities for these hidden experiences in our past will often be brought to use.
So it is the case with "The Electric Slide."
Anyone out there chuckling with wonderment that I might perhaps be referring to that wacky, cult-favorite dance from back in the day???
In fact...I am. That favorite of girls and boys from the late 80's-early 90's..."The Electric Slide."
Only yesterday I found myself in Music class. Truly having an uproarious time with the 4th and 5th graders as we were listening to different styles of music on my new 60-watt speaker system...that thing is awesome...but, I digress...
I played them a sample of some R&B music, in fact it was Nicole C Mullen's "Freedom." The kids were lovin' it. And, as I too savored the "beat you can dance to"...my mind brought forth the memory of dancing the "Electric Slide"...at my old high-school LC and from back in my mid-western college days.
Before I knew it, I was encouraging the kids to get up with me...and I began to start teaching them the dance...
All of them really enjoyed it...except for Magpie, our oldest, who was in reality HUMILIATED by my fine dancing style...
I was practically hysterical...realizing once again how such a quirky part of my history was now being used as Music curriculum!
Things here have been so very busy. I regret the delay in posting. School started on September 1. Just the week prior we welcomed a new family to our team and the week prior to that we welcomed a new couple to our team. Literally the population of foreigners in our building has exploded!
We've had very, very long days working to prepare the school for this new term. In reflecting on last year, the school was in large part a "triage school" where we were constantly trying to stop the hemorrhaging...but this year, we have 6 new teachers on staff, a new principal and our school size has doubled to a respectable 32 students! We're teaching grades 1-5.
There are so many offers and requests for studying the Book in our evenings and weekends that we find ourselves spinning at the moment trying to determine the best schedule to address the desires of those requesting us.
We had such a warm welcome upon our return Here from neighbors, employees of the company, students and their parents and even our security guards at the living quarters! I am taken aback at how many good relationships we've already begun to develop here. It is exciting as we look at our work here this year.
I do have pictures...but no ability to post them at this moment...I will do so soon!
Keepin' it real...dancing the "slide" with my students...
Turn on that Nicole C Mullen song for yourself and warm up those rusty joints and dance in solidarity with us... :)
Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do online. Find out more.
No comments:
Post a Comment